Health Check

100%

Back to All Discussions

Issue with Direct Downloads of Media Files via Provided Links

Rapid account: Mhmdshojaee
mhmdshojaee
3달 전

Dear DataFanatic,

I am reaching out to address a specific challenge I’ve encountered while integrating your API into my application. The issue pertains to the behavior of the media file download links provided by your API, which, instead of prompting a direct download, result in the media being played in the browser.

Detailed Description of the Issue:
Upon receiving a media file download link from your API, I expected that clicking the link (or programmatically accessing it via an HTTP GET request) would initiate a download of the file to the user’s device. However, instead of downloading, the link navigates to a new browser tab where the media content (audio/video) is played directly. This behavior does not align with the intended functionality of allowing users to download the files for offline access.

Example of the Download Link Provided:
https://scd.dlod.link/… (This is a generic placeholder; in my actual implementation, I use the specific URLs provided by your API.)

Attempted Solutions and Observations:

I have tried using the Content-Disposition: attachment header in my requests, hoping to force the browser to download the file instead of opening it. However, since this is a client-side action, my control over the response headers from the API is limited.
Utilizing HTML5 attributes (e.g., <a href="…" download>) only works when the originating server sets appropriate headers to allow for such downloads, which seems not to be the case currently.
Questions and Requests for Assistance:

Server-Side Headers: Could you confirm if the API’s server is configured to set the Content-Disposition: attachment header for download links? If not, is it possible to enable this configuration to facilitate direct downloads?

Best Practices for Download: If changing server-side configurations is not feasible, could you provide guidance or recommended practices for initiating direct downloads of media files via your API? Any client-side approaches or specific API parameters that could enforce this behavior would be highly appreciated.

Documentation or Examples: Are there any existing documentation sections, code snippets, or API parameters that I might have overlooked, which specifically address controlling the behavior of download links?

Understanding the necessity to ensure a seamless user experience, enabling direct downloads for offline access is crucial for the functionality of my application. I appreciate your attention to this matter and look forward to any solutions or guidance you can provide.

Best Regards,

Rapid account: Data Fanatic
DataFanatic Commented 3달 전

Sorry, we have no better solution than clicking the link and downloading the file on the new tab.

mhmdshojaee Commented 3달 전

So, Do you have any idea or solution to handle it in some how?

Unfortunately, we can’t change that because it’s impossible for us to configure YouTube’s server.

mhmdshojaee Commented 3달 전

Dear DataFanatic,

I wanted to express my appreciation for the swift resolution you provided for the direct download issue by introducing the attachment parameter in the SoundCloud Scraper. This solution has greatly improved my application’s user experience by enabling direct file downloads.

Can I request the implementation of a similar attachment parameter for the YouTube Media Downloader API? This feature would significantly enhance our integration and maintain consistency across your APIs for our users.

If feasible, could you also share any expected timelines for this addition and any relevant updates to the documentation?

Thank you for your ongoing support and the impactful solutions you provide.

Best,

Hey! For your convenience, we added a parameter attachment to the URLs and updated the tutorial. Now, clicking a link like https://scd.dlod.link/?...&attachment will make browsers directly download the file. It’s unset by default, so this won’t affect other users.

Hello. Thank you for the detailed information.

Please check out this tutorial: How to Use Audio URLs. It includes the code snippet that works for browsers and lists all the necessary steps to handle the download process. The method allows users to download a file without opening a new tab.

As a result, we think changing the response headers is not a must. If we do that, it may potentially break other users’ applications.

Join in the discussion - add comment below:

Login / Signup to post new comments