Latency

3,688ms

Service Level

99%

Back to All Discussions

Feature Request: Mobile Versus Desktop

kubaitis
3 months ago

To switch between mobile versus desktop would be amazing. All you have to do to do this is switch from make the request with a Desktop user-agent to making one with a mobile user agent. Search result formatting does vary between desktop and mobile… so there is that, but for people building marketing tools with APIs being able to switch between desktop and mobile is a big deal.

Allowing the users to set the user-agent would break the parsers too often but if you manage one desktop and one mobile it could work.

Thanks for your amazing service!

apigeek commented 3 months ago

Thanks for brining this idea up.

Are there significant difference in search results between mobile and desktop? It will definitely break our parser, but we can work on adding this feature if it improves the usability of our service.

Thank you for using our service.

kubaitis commented 3 months ago

Yes… Mobile and Desktop are governed by different Google Algorithms. In general Mobile is stricter because page weight and mobile friendliness impact searcher experience more on mobile devices using mobile network connections. Your pages can rank for a keyword in desktop but not for the same keyword in mobile. Additionally mobile devices are able to show fewer results because of screen size so mobile search has to make tougher choices about what to show. For anyone making SEO tools being able to select mobile versus desktop is a critical capability.

Thanks for the info.

Just trying to decide how to design the API to make it easier for the developers to specify the mode. Will having the option to set “X-User-Agent” in the request headers to switch between the modes be an appropriate solution? Where it defaults to desktop traffic if not specified.

For example to get mobile results, the developer will have to call the API with headers: {“X-User-Agent” : “mobile”}

Sounds fantastic to me! 😃

Great. We’ll pass this feedback to the dev team.

The dev has added the code to support mobile search. It will take some time for the updates to propagate through all the servers.

We will add a guide/tutorial on calling the new feature. Since it is brand new expect some bugs. We will fix the bugs as they get reported.

Let us know if you if you have any problems.

Already playing with it! Main issue right now is that the API is acting very slow at the moment. Sometimes taking 1-2 minutes per request.

Hmmmm… The API request latency is very painful mid day in PST time zone… I wonder if it would be more time efficient to make one API request to get both mobile and desktop since people likely want to compare anyway… Doing the API request once instead of twice to get both seems like it would be 100% speed improvement.

There was a huge spike in the number of API request during that time. We are making more improvement to speed things up.

Making both mobile and desktop query in one request is not possible with how our system is design. Each request is a unique session. We avoid re-using the session to avoid old cookies and old session artifacts. That way our API can return real time results. Each search request must go through this process.

At peak times the benchmarks are going. 17s, 22s, 33s, 12s, 7.6m, 33s, 22s, 5.2m

if the API could timeout and redo the slow ones it would feel a LOT better. Right now it just feels like the API stopped responding.

Whatever you can do for this prime time slowness would be great. In the evenings this problem totally goes away. definitely a peak hour thing.

What about a 3 minute (240 seconds) timeout?

Our dev also increased the auto-scaling to trigger sooner. Hopefully the service will be able to handle more request and scale up during peak hours.

3 minutes is a long time… Generally after about 60 seconds my customers start recommending fast proxy providers. LOL.

If I feel that pressure then others will too. But I’ll take what ever you can give. I also don’t mind paying more for a faster service level… I know it has cost on your end too.

Have to admit… 3 minutes to do a google search is a long time and the problem isn’t Google.

Today during peak our average response time was 60 seconds. That is about how long it takes our service scale out as the number of request increased. After that the response time decreased to on average 15 seconds.

Our devs will continue to monitor the traffic and optimize the auto scaling. Our goal is to bring down the peak average time to about 10 seconds.

Join in the discussion - add comment below:

Login / Signup to post new comments
Rating: 4.6 - Votes: 12