API's (Application Programming Interface) are tools for building software applications.
They show software components on how they can interact.
You are probably using it right now and aren't even aware.
Widespread adoption of smartphones and other handheld devices have made it a hot topic in our current market.
Without API's, the digital experience that consumers encounter today would be entirely impossible.
So, what problem do API's solve?
Generally, API's create the rules that programmers ought to utilize so that they can interact appropriately with a programming language.
The software allows the consumer to access data in real time.
The API acts as an intermediary between the actual source of the data and what the user eventually views on their smartphone or computer.
There are very many API's that serve different market niches and traveling API's are one of the most popular.
How Are APIs Relevant in Traveling?
Travelers desire to have all possible traveling options at hand.
Well, a travel API makes this possible.
It consolidates multiple web services that allow you to access different deals.
People can today make a reservation in an "all-in-one-place" platform that has revolutionized the user experience making everything more straightforward.
In basic terminology, a traveling API allows a traveling website or application owner to integrate third-party GDS (Global Distribution System) feed into the booking mechanism of their website.
Instead of a browser having to leave your site to pay for a particular service, they complete everything including payment on a single platform.
What is the best travel and flight API?
After reviewing over 44 travel and flight APIs, we found these 6 APIs to be the very best and worth mentioning:
Our Top 6 Best Travel APIs for 2019
|Skyscanner Flight Search||Best for Flight Search & Flight Prices||Connect to API|
|webcams.travel||Best for Global Webcam Data||Connect to API|
|Booking||Best for Hotel Booking Data||Connect to API|
|Airports Finder||Best for Airport Data||Connect to API|
|IATA and ICAO Codes||Best for Airlines Data||Connect to API|
|TrailAPI||Best for Hiking & Biking Trails||Connect to API|
List of our Top Picks for Best Travel APIsHere are some of the top travel and flight APIs that we thought were worth mentioning:
1. Skyscanner Flight Search
The Skyscanner API lets you search for flights and get ticket prices from Skyscanner's database.
You can also get live quotes directly from ticketing agencies.
Some of the endpoints are:
Browse Dates- returns the cheapest dates for a given route
Browse Quotes- returns the cheapest price quotes
Browse Routes- returns the cheapest routes
Skyscanner API Key
Get a free API Key on RapidAPI for the Skyscanner Flight Search API.
Skyscanner API Cost & Pricing
The Skyscanner API is a free to use travel API on RapidAPI.com.
Read more about Skyscanner API here.
Popularity Score: 10/10
The webcams.travel API gathers webcams from around the world and makes them accessible to developers through their REST API. Developers can use this API to enrich their website or app with free webcam content.
- Return a list of webcams within a given lat long coordinates
- Get webcams by category
- Get webcams by continents
- Get webcams by country
- Get webcams by ID
- Get webcams by radius
- Get webcams by properties
The webcams.travel API allows you to get quality & maintained content, a timelapse player for free via the RapidAPI interface.
Popularity Score: 9.9/10
The unofficial Booking.com API is a RESTful API that allows developers to query:
- and other hotel data
The Booking API is the perfect API to enrich your website or app with hotel data.
The Booking API has a freemium pricing model that allows up to 500 free API requests per month. Higher priced plans are available as well.
Popularity Score: 9.7/10
4. Airports Finder
The Airports Finder is an application and REST API that allows you to find airports that are near a given location.
It also provides airport search within a certain region.
Users can provide a location and radius in km to find where they can fly from and to. The airport lookup API can be integrated with other apps and services to get data you need.
Popularity Score: 9.4/10
5. IATA and ICAO Codes
The IATA and ICAO Codes API provides insights into specific airlines by IATA code.
The API goes into detail about:
- iata code
- icao code
- low cost carrier status
- and website
This API is complete free to use on RapidAPI.
Popularity Score: 9.0/10
The TrailAPI is an API that provides information and photos for 10s of 1000s of outdoor recreation locations including:
- Hiking Trails
- Mountain Biking Trails
- Ski Resorts
- ATV trails
- and more!
The TrailAPI is a freemium API that allows developers 500 free API requests/day and 10 map data requests/day. Paid plans are available for higher usage.
Popularity Score: 8.4/10
Summary: Best Travel APIs for Developers
|API||Main Functionality||Popularity Score||Latency||Success Rate|
|IATA and ICAO Codes||Airlines||9.0/10||143ms||100%|
Complete List of the Best Travel APIs
- ADSBexchange.com - Data for Live Air Traffic and Flight locations via ADS-B/MLAT - This API for non-commercial, personal use only.
- ADSBx Flight Sim Traffic - ADSBexchange.com traffic feed for flight simulators
- AirHex - AirHex is a service with daily updated supplemental travel content, which includes airline logos, airline check-in URL's and handy purified IATA database
- Airport Timetable - REST Method - FlightLookup Airport Timetable - Find all the flights to or from an airport. Ideal service if you are an airport or providing a timetable for airports.
- AirportsFinder - Airports Finder is an application and REST API that allows you to find airports that are near a given location. It also provides airport search within a certain region. Users can provide a location and radius in km to find where they can fly from and to. The airport lookup API can be integrated with other apps and services to get data you need.
- BART - The BART API gives you access to pretty much all of the BART service and station data available on the BART website.
- Booking - Booking API helps to query rooms, price, facilities, policities, etc information from many hotels around the world as on official site.
- British Airways Flight Info - British Airways is the flag carrier airline of the United Kingdom and its largest airline based on fleet size, international flights and international destinations
- Daily Fuel Price - India - Get prices of Petrol and Diesel in India. Prices are updated DAILY. Please report bugs.
- Evercam Public Cameras - Returns a list of publicly discoverable cameras from within the Evercam system.
- Fiz places - High quality, curated content on top places around the world including: top hotspots, landmarks, restaurants, POIs, museums, parks etc etc.
- Flight Bookings - We're providing developer-friendly API's to major low cost and full service carriers with capabilities to search, price and book flights realtime. We directly dive into the inventory of airlines and GDS partners.
- Flight Data - Dates are accepted in the formats YYYY-MM and YYYY-MM-DD.
- Flight Number Lookup - URI Method - FlightLookup Flight Metadata - Need to know the details of a flight or its route then this is a quick lookup service. *Metadata on Specific Flight, *Arrive, Depart, Times, Days of operation, Operating Carrier, Terminal
- Flight Schedules - One Day - REST Method - FlightLookup Timetable - Access our worldwide schedules including low cost carriers and build connections using the dynamic connections engine.
- geolocation.ws - Browse geolocated Creative Commons photos taken from Panoramio, Flickr and Wikimedia Commons websites. Registered users can add one or more tags describing image content.
- Google Maps Geocoding - Geocoding is the process of converting addresses (like "1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA") into geographic coordinates (like latitude 37.423021 and longitude -122.083739), which you can use to place markers on a map, or position the map.
- GoogleMapsDistanceMatrix - Calculate travel distance and time between destinations.
- Great Circle Mapper - Use Great Circle Mapper to calculate the air distance and flight time between all airports worldwide.
- Hipmunk - API to query realtime Flights prices, Hotels booking
- Holiplus - Hotels, Tours and Car rental in Cuba
- IATA and ICAO - IATA ICAO airports airlines airplanes and much more data. A powerful API of all aviation data. Our tools contain Flight Track, Airport Timetables, Flight Routes and all the information about airports, airlines, airplanes and so much more!
- IATA and ICAO Codes - Airline Codes and Rich Content (Beta)
- IATACodes - An API to get IATA codes database and more.
- Indonesian Train Schedule - Jadwal Kereta - This API is free to use as we host it in free appharbor. You can add up to your 5 favorite origin-destination. We get the data from tiket.kereta-api.co.id. So as long as we do not violate their rules, you can still have the data.
- iRail - Search for train trips in Belgium using the iRail API. You can search for train departures in a certain station and search for all the stations in Belgium.
- IRCTC and Indina Railway - We have created this API to help out the developer looking for railway API and we are not affiliated to indian railways in any form and this is not an official API also.
- Kajak - API to query realtime Flights prices, Hotels booking and Cars hiring
- Qtravel Search v1.0 - Qtravel.pl is a full-text search engine of vacation packages provided by Polish tour operators.
- Railway Trains - India - Search Indian Railway trains by either train number or it's name.
- Route Planner Apis - A set of apis to solve common vehicle routing problems including: simple vrp, capacity constrained vrp (cvrp), multiple pickup-delivery cvrp, and others.
- SEPTA - Provides hackathon-style access to the SEPTA API. Allows introspection of the SEPTA locations and routes, and provides basically-realtime data on delays, alerts, vehicles, and routes.
- Skyscanner Car Hire Live Prices - Retrieve live prices for car hire providers.
- Skyscanner Flight Search - The Sky Scanner API lets you search for flight & get flight prices from Skyscanners database of prices, as well as get live quotes directly from ticketing agencies.
- Such Flight - Flight Search API. Searches in Airblue. Other flights coming soon PIA, Shaheen Air.
- TrailAPI - Information and photos for tens of thousands of outdoor recreation locations including hiking and mountain biking trails, campgrounds, ski resorts, ATV trails, and more.
- Travel Advisory - This is a simple REST API that replies with an UTF8 encoded JSON Object. This API provides you with a daily updated list of country advisories. These advisories contain a risk value which describes how dangerous a country is from a travellers perspective. This data is available for every country.
- Tripit - TripIt organizes travel plans into an itinerary that has all of your trip details in one place.
- Tsaboin Cams - With our API, you can extend your projects (check terms and conditions for more details) by connecting to our servers for traffic details around bus-stops and for live traffic cams.
- UberDelivery - Request an Uber delivery from within your app
- UberRide - Request an Uber ride from within your app.
- webcams.travel - The World's Largest Landscape Webcam API
- World Airports - Find a list of airports matching the search string with Airport Name, Code or Location.
- Zumata - ZUMATA is a new approach in B2B travel API's. In a few simple steps, you can be getting real-time travel pricing, availability and booking worldwide via simple API calls.