Introduction to Tyk
Tyk offers a complete API lifecycle management platform, including robust governance, auditing, advanced analytics, and traffic management features. Tyk also includes an API tech stack for supporting various chores within a production API deployment.
Tyk is committed to open source, and some of its leading offerings, such as the Tyk API Gateway and tools, are available as open-source software. In addition, Tyk offers flexible deployment options ranging across the popular PaaS cloud providers and supports scalable API deployment with the help of built-in integration with Docker and Kubernetes.
Tyk Feature Analysis
|Protocol Support (List of protocols supported by Tyk)||Tyk supports REST, SOAP, GraphQL as well as WebSockets.|
|API Management & Governance (Brief description of the various API management and governance features in Tyk)||Tyk supports fine-grained API lifecycle control through policies, auditing, and logging features for all API operations.|
|API Testing (Brief description of the various API testing features in Tyk)||Tyk supports basic API unit testing and contract testing to verify adherence to API spec.|
|Reporting and Monitoring (Brief description of various reporting and monitoring features in Tyk)||Tyk supports traffic analysis per API / key basis, logs, and debug messages. In addition, it allows hourly data views and segmentation to track API performance.|
|Hosting Options (Summary of hosting options supported by Tyk)||Tyk supports cloud hosting through popular cloud providers such as AWS, Azure, and Google. It also supports on-premises configuration and docker or Kubernetes-based deployment.|
|Integrations (Brief description on support for external integrations, APIs, SDKs, or webhooks provided by Tyk)||Tyk has multiple integration options with third parties. These are supported via plugins, broker components, and federated identity based access.|
|CI/CD Support (List of CI/CD features for Tyk)||Tyk supports the tyk-sync utility and provides documentation for integrating with Jenkins.|
|API Ecosystem Support (Brief description of the various API ecosystem options available in Tyk for promoting APIs and collaborating with other API providers)||Tyk offers a developer portal with API catalog, documentation, and other means of collaboration between API publishers and consumers.|
|Alerts (List of alerts and notifications features available in Tyk)||Tyk provides portal events and notifications via webhooks and emails.|
|Pricing Model (Brief description of various pricing models supported by Tyk)||Tyk offers a 14 day free trial for cloud-hosted platforms followed by $495 /month for proof-of-concept cloud hosting. Separate licenses for on-premises custom hosting are also available.|
Top Alternatives to Tyk
1. RapidAPI Enterprise Hub
RapidAPI Enterprise Hub is a next-generation API management platform. It is part of RapidAPI’s suite of API products. It also leverages a public API marketplace which is the largest API marketplace globally, with over 2 million developers accessing more than 20,000 APIs.
RapidAPI Enterprise Hub is complemented by RapidAPI’s design tool that offers a fully-featured API client to debug, test, and interact with HTTP APIs. Additionally, RapidAPI Testing offers a comprehensive API testing platform for APIs with advanced API test verification and monitoring features.
RapidAPI Enterprise Hub Pros:
- RapidAPI Enterprise Hub offers seamless integration between internally hosted APIs along with external, third-party APIs.
- RapidAPI Enterprise Hub has an in-built, white-labeled marketplace, enabling companies to build API portals with custom themes for monetizing their APIs.
- RapidAPI Enterprise Hub has an ecosystem of API tools and utilities to help developers and API practitioners design, test, and deploy APIs.
RapidAPI Enterprise Hub Cons
- RapidAPI Enterprise Hub is a relatively new entrant in the API management space, so adoption is less.
2. WS02 API Manager
WSO2 API Manager is an API management offering from WSO2. It is a powerful platform for creating, managing, consuming, and monitoring web APIs. It is open source and has a modular design consisting of multiple components for API publishing, traffic management, gateway, and developer portal.
WSO2 API Manager Pros:
- WSO2 API Manager offers Artificial Intelligence (AI) based recommendations for the Developer Portal to choose the best APIs for end application needs.
- WSO2 API Manager supports detailed and granular display of API stats with monthly and geolocation-based reports.
- WSO2 API Manager supports custom workflows and custom widgets for analytics dashboards.
WSO2 API Manager Cons:
- The WSO2 community is less active compared to Tyk and other open source solutions.
3. Axway Amplify API Management Platform
The Axway Amplify platform is another full lifecycle API management platform. This platform offers enterprise level features for aggregating and managing APIs across the entire organization, thereby offering a unified catalog that aids in digital transformation.
Apart from the standard API management features, the Axway Amplify platform automates all APIs’ discovery, reuse, and governance across multiple gateways, environments, and vendor solutions.
Axway Amplify Pros:
- The Axway Amplify platform comes with an interactive policy studio that makes it super easy to design custom API policies.
- Axway Amplify supports automated discovery of all API assets across distributed IT environments.
- Axway Amplify supports advanced traffic management on a per-application basis and API requests as well as on the processing pipeline.
Axway Amplify Cons:
- Axway Amplify’s API marketplace is a closed-loop ecosystem consisting of Axway customers only.
- Axway Amplify does not offer a dedicated API testing tool.
4. Sensedia API Management Platform
Sensedia is a powerful API management platform that helps companies deliver faster digital experiences, consolidate and monitor digital channels and boost partner ecosystems.
Sensadia’s API solution suite includes an adaptive governance framework, event hub, and service mesh, providing an integrated architecture for managing organization-wide digital assets.
Sensedia API Management Platform pros:
- Sensedia offers a one-of-a-kind adaptive governance framework that automates various manual governance chores to optimize API performance and ensure security and contract guidelines.
- Sensedia offers a graphical view to visualize the complexity and the impact of APIs and design custom workflows.
Sensedia API Management Platform cons:
- Sensedia does not offer an API marketplace.
- Sensedia does not provide a dedicated API testing tool.
Summary: Tyk vs. RapidAPI Enterprise Hub vs. WSO2 API Manager vs. Axway Amplify vs. Sensedia
|Tyk||RapidAPI Enterprise Hub||WSO2 API Manager||Axway Amplify||Sensedia|
|Protocol Support||GraphQL, REST, SOAP, WebSockets||GraphQL, REST, SOAP||GraphQL, REST, SOAP, WebSub||REST, SOAP||REST, GraphQL|
|Level of Support for API Management & Governance||High||High||Medium||High||High|
|Support for API Testing suite||Basic||Advanced||Intermediate||Advanced ( through API Fortress)||Basic|
|Level of Reporting and Monitoring||High||High||High||High||High|
|Hosting Options||Cloud & On-premises||Cloud & On-premises||Self hosted||Cloud||Cloud, SaaS|
|Level of Supported Integrations||High||High||High||High||High|
|API Marketplace Support||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
|Supported Alerting Mechanisms||Email / Webhooks||Email / SMS||Email / SMS||Email / SMS / WebHooks||Email / Slack / Webhooks|
|Pricing Model||14-day free trial, followed by tiered pricing||Custom pricing||Open source software, free.||Free trial and custom pricing||Custom pricing|
What is Tyk?
Tyk is a leading platform that offers a complete suite of API gateway and API management platforms. Tyk is open-sourced, supports REST and GraphQL from the ground up, and provides an excellent set of API traffic management, analytics, and monitoring features.
What are the main features of Tyk?
Tyk offers easy deployment options for cloud and on-premises setup. It supports a lot of plugins for transformation, utility tasks, protocol, and programming language extensions. Tyk Gateway is a full-featured API gateway with advanced features for hosting and managing API backends.
What are the alternatives to Tyk?
If you are looking for a next-generation API management solution that offers better collaboration and monetization opportunities, you can also consider RapidAPI Enterprise Hub. With this platform, companies can build internal API marketplaces for internal collaboration on APIs. Additionally, you have the option to deploy an external marketplace for customers and partners that want to find and connect to APIs. Enterprise Hub delivers many features that enable governance, monitoring, and management of APIs and their consumption with enhanced visibility and control.