About this Collection:
About book APIs
Books might seem an odd thing to need an API for.
However, there are multiple services that provide data about books and the content of books online. APIs allow developers to access this information in their own software.
What is an API for books?
Book API typically provides search and display functionality for the text of online books. Alternatively, APIs for books may simply return titles, author names, and other information. Some book-related APIs also return book information and bestseller information.
How does a free book API work?
When building an app or other piece of software, developers can include a call to one of these APIs for book-related information or the contents of a book.
The API will return data, which can then be displayed natively. Some APIs may also allow users to modify data, for instance by correcting typos in an author’s name.
Who is book APIs for exactly?
Anyone developing software related to reading, authors, or other book topics.
Why is an API important for books?
APIs are important for book-related projects, as they allow developers access to cover images and book contents. This can greatly reduce the size of your book app, and improve its accuracy.
What can you expect from free book APIs?
The book community has a strong open-access core, meaning its free APIs are often fully featured.
The most common feature of APIs for books that don’t cost money are data retrieval. Some also include access to the content of a book, cover images, and other information.
Are there examples of free book APIs?
Although some APIs, such as the Oxford Dictionaries API, charge for use, there are many free APIs related to books.
- Google Books API: Access to Google Books data and content. Free.
- Goodreads API: Access to reviews and book data from Goodreads. Free.
- Europeana API: This European Union tool holds digital museum collections, including books. Has several free APIs.
- Ebook Creator API: This API from Fivefilters converts websites into ebook files. Freemium.
- Marvel Comics API: An API for all things Marvel. Free.
- Open Library Books API: This Internet Archive project’s API accesses contents, covers and other infomation about items in the Open Library.
- ISBNdb API: Information about books, including ISBNs, author details and more.
- New York Times Books API: Retrieves information about the New York Times bestseller lists and book reviews. Free.
Books API SDKs
All books APIs are supported and made available in multiple developer programming languages and SDKs including:
- Java (Android)
- C# (.NET)
Just select your preference from any API endpoints page.
Sign up today for free on RapidAPI to begin using Books APIs!