Health Check

N/A

Back to All Discussions

Use of imgur API on high-profile/high-traffic site: Terms of Service question

Rapid account: Reese 015
reese015
8 years ago

Hi there,

my name is Reese and I run GamingForGood.net together with Athene. I guess the best way to summarize who we are and what we do is to link to Athene’s most recent CNN interview here: http://edition.cnn.com/videos/tv/2015/03/05/qmb-athene.cnn

We’re looking to integrate the imgur API into our new GamingForGood.net platform that we’re launching in January. One of its features will be that people who livestream will be able to automatically show an alert image on their screen that is being broadcast, triggered by charity donations and such (usually in form of a cool or funny animated gif accompanied with sound)with text underneath saying “<donator name> just donated $10!” for example.

For this we noticed it would be a great fit to use the imgur API to allow people to do an imgur upload right from our Alert Editor interface and we’d keep tracks of the imgur links on our side. We’d make this seamless but also make clear that their image is uploaded and stored on imgur and any non-user-uploaded images (such as stock/default alert images) will be hosted on our own servers though we’d also make it very clear that the image uploading/displaying for the user’s own alert images is ‘powered by imgur’ and since we’re making use of the commercial imgur API, we assume this would be fine and would not violate imgur’s ToS regarding offloading images and such?

Thanks!
Reese

Join in the discussion - add comment below:

Login / Signup to post new comments