100%

Health Check

N/A

Back to All Discussions

Max number of best podcasts

Rapid account: Geoffcook
geoffcook
6 years ago

Hello. We would like to use /api/v1/best_podcasts endpoint without genre_id to build a page where should be all podcasts of the app but it returns about 100 items.
Do you have some another endpoint to reach all podcasts with pagination or we have to use this one? if this one, how can we get more podcasts on this endpoint?
Many thanks in advance.

Rapid account: Listennotes
listennotes Commented 5 years ago

Just answered your question via email. I reposted my reply here:

We only support to fetch "best podcasts" by genre, not "all podcasts". The endpoint we provide essentially returns the same results as https://www.listennotes.com/best-podcasts/ Yes, there are only up to a few hundred "best podcasts" per genre.

It's not practical to return a large number of results in a single page, primarily for backend / database performance consideration.

But from product's point of view, it's enough for people to browse a few hundred good podcasts per genre, as there are so many podcasts out there (that's why we have search engine) and a lot of podcasts are actually not good (introducing noises for podcast discovery).

geoffcook Commented 5 years ago

Any update on this question?

geoffcook Commented 6 years ago

We are trying to create mobile app screens that allow users to browse via infinite-scroll experience "Popular" and also certain "Categories" of podcasts. We do utilize paging of the results. However, we are only able to allow the user to scroll down about 10 screens before the content runs out.

We do expect pagination of course, but whether we use genre_id or not we are running out of results after 150-200 podcasts in a given category or when using no category. Perhaps you have a limit on how many podcasts in a category a user can browse? If so, we'd request this limit to be much higher, like closer to 1000 than to 100.

Rapid account: Listennotes
listennotes Commented 6 years ago

I want to make sure I understand your question correctly.

" Hello. We would like to use /api/v1/best_podcasts endpoint without genre_id to build a page where should be all podcasts of the app but it returns about 100 items."

Do you mean you want /api/v1/best_podcasts to return ALL podcasts (500k+ podcasts) all at once without pagination?

If this is what you mean, we don't do this. 1) For performance reason, we can't return that many podcasts without pagination, which would incur big response time and would be bad for user experience. 2) This is in essence to hand out the entire podcast database of Listen Notes – imagine you search on google and google displays all search results on the same page, instead of 10 results/page 😃

" Do you have some another endpoint to reach all podcasts with pagination or we have to use this one? if this one, how can we get more podcasts on this endpoint?"

Or do you mean you want it to return best podcasts with pagination & more than 100 podcasts per page?

If this is what you mean, then I want to understand your use case more. Why 100 podcasts per page is not enough?

Join in the discussion - add comment below:

Login / Signup to post new comments