Name Toolkit

FREEMIUM
By nametoolkit | Updated vor 4 Tagen | Business
Health Check

N/A

Back to All Discussions

Mashape is charging me fraudulently for use of your API.

Rapid account: Gboethin
gboethin
vor 9 Jahren

I like your service. I’ve used purchased the Pro and Ultra plan now. After purchasing the Ultra plan (for $25) Mashape began sending me emails every hour telling me that a charge for $33.66 for the Pro plan was declined. No explanation for the charge. I contacted Mashape and received a canned response telling me they’d look into the issue. I still haven’t heard back from them. I’ve received over 24 emails me about the charge, and still no explanation for it.

The charge is declined because I keep my balance on this debit card low, for this very reason.

Again, you have a good service, but Mashape is going to destroy your reputation. I posted about my issue in namepros.com tonight. You probably recognize that as one of the most reputable domaining forums on the internet.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/fraudulent-charges-by-mashape-com-for-name-toolkit.843916/

I hope between you and Mashape that you can get this figured out, because you can expect a post per day from me like this one until you do.

Rapid account: Nametoolkit
nametoolkit Commented vor 9 Jahren

ok I haven’t heard back and I think the resolution sounds more than fair, I’m going to close this issue. Many thanks to Mashape for the detailed investigation.

Rapid account: Mashaper
mashaper Commented vor 9 Jahren

We feel obligated to comment here and defend our valued partner, Name Toolkit.

You made 16,733 billable requests under the PRO plan. Since 10,000 were included in the monthly subscription, you generated 6,733 additional calls. The API’s overage price is $0.005 per additional request; as such, the bill was calculated as: 6,733 * 0.005 = $33.66

Also, earlier in the day, we sent you the raw logs for every request made under the PRO plan. The logs validate the legitimacy of the transaction.

Unfortunately, there was a problem on our side when we tried to charge your credit card. The $33.66 transaction failed on the first attempt and the system went into a loop. Our banking partner tried to settle the $33.66 fee every hour until one of the transactions succeeded. We fully acknowledge this bug and immediately fixed the issue.

Due to the banking error we cancelled your $33.66 overage fee, although it was legitimate. As this issue should not have affected Name Toolkit, the API provider, we paid them your overage fee out of our pocket.

For clarification, Mashape and Name Toolkit are two separate entities. Name Toolkit is the API provider distributing their API on Mashape, and Mashape is the management solution responsible for billing customers. This is 100% a Mashape problem, and not Name Toolkit’s fault.

So, I was in touch with Mashape, they say the charges related to an overage incorrectly charges because we (NameToolkit) raised the price for that plan. You should have been on the old price tier and so they’ve offered you a refund as there may have been a technical issue on their part.
If you’ve had your issue resolved, I’ll close this issue. I’d again encourage you to be somewhat understanding that these things happen and perhaps not to leave the harshly toned blogpost as misleading info for future googlers.

Wow, look I appreciate that this is and has been a terrible experience, and I’ve seen a few other similar cases which are confusing. I will certainly consider your suggestion about providing a direct option but it will take time. Mashape, at least in the early days were very responsive when I contacted them.
I’ll attempt to contact Mashape for their side of the story on this but I’d also like if you could avoid posting the words Name Toolkit and “fraudulent” together in a blog post. I read the post and I realise you didn’t attack us but a casual google searcher might well skip on us for only this reason.
We always respond to customer problems and if you ask any other long term subscribers, I hope they’d confirm we work as quickly as we can to resolve technical issues.

Join in the discussion - add comment below:

Login / Signup to post new comments