100%

Health Check

N/A

Back to All Discussions

Autocomplete recipe filter

Rapid account: Ryanlangton
ryanlangton
8 years ago

Is there any way you could have your auto-complete recipe search also filter by diet, type, and intolerances? Or at the very least, just diet? I find these things are typical for all searches, and it wouldn’t make any sense for a vegan user of my app to get typeahead suggestions for any meat or dairy dishes (for example). Thanks! Enjoying developing with your API.

Rapid account: Ericajohnson 3422
ericajohnson3422 Commented a year ago

Thank you for your suggestion to improve the recipe search feature of your app! Filtering the search results by diet, type, and intolerances can be a useful way to help users find recipes that meet their specific dietary needs and preferences.

Incorporating these filters into the auto-complete recipe search feature could involve adding additional parameters to the search request, such as “vegan,” “Tuna Fish Empanadas,” “gluten-free,” or “dairy-free.” This would allow users to specify their dietary preferences and receive typeahead suggestions for recipes that fit those criteria.

Alternatively, you could consider adding a separate search filter function that allows users to narrow down the results by diet, type, and intolerances after performing a general search. This could involve adding checkboxes or dropdown menus to the search interface that allow users to select the criteria they are interested in.

Rapid account: Spoonacular
spoonacular Commented 8 years ago

Understood. I have a few improvement plans on the recipe suggest anyway, so I’ll see what I can do…

Rapid account: Ryanlangton
ryanlangton Commented 8 years ago

I removed my previous request… it was in regards to the return of the complex search not matching to what the example shows (structure wise the json object), but I think that was because of my not having certain parameters in my request. Since I don’t need those properties right now anyways, I should be ok, but will submit a ticket later if it becomes an issue. It’s stuff like the calories, fat, etc (do I have to submit min calories, etc to get that info?)

For the typeahead, I knew I could use complex search for it, but was hoping there was a more lightweight option (since it’s really only a few parameters that are critically important). Since there isn’t, I’ll just use complex search for now. My concern is once I have a decent user base I’ll be hitting complex search end point a lot and didn’t know if it was built for that purpose.

Thanks!

Rapid account: Spoonacular
spoonacular Commented 8 years ago

Hi Ryan,

first, somehow I cannot find your previous request https://market.mashape.com/spoonacular/recipe-food-nutrition/support/136 … it just doesn’t load for me I contacted mashape about it already.

Second, adding all these filter options would basically make this endpoint the same as the complex search endpoint. The goal of this endpoint was to provide recipe suggests super fast. If I implement all the filters it will get slower. If you don’t mind it being slower you can also use the complex recipe search for autocompletion.

I’m sorry that I cannot comply with your needs at this point. I will however keep your request in mind.

Join in the discussion - add comment below:

Login / Signup to post new comments