100%

Health Check

N/A

Back to All Discussions

Don't use this API!

Rapid account: Hollywoodchase
hollywoodchase
4 years ago

While it says that it is free when you sign up ($0/month subscription), I ended up using this API for a school project and was charged $126 to use it.

When I attempted to contact this company, they refused to give me a refund and instead offered me a discount on one of their products.

They wish to trick you into overusing the API then charging you for it.

Best to just stay away or use any number of the free API’s at your disposal.

Rapid account: Therundown
therundown Commented 4 years ago

Hi zachkirsch

Our BASIC plan was recently amended to impose a hard limit on requests, so you are correct, overages are not possible.

Please send any questions our way to contact@therundown.io

Thanks!

TheRundown

Rapid account: Zachkirsch
zachkirsch Commented 4 years ago

It currently looks like the basic plan offers a hard limit of 25 requests per day, and then it stops working (i.e. no possibility of overages). Is that true? I did have to put in my credit card - does that mean there’s a risk of me paying something even if I’m on the basic plan?

Rapid account: Therundown
therundown Commented 4 years ago

Hi Hollywoodchase

We will answer the issues raised along with the multiple inaccuracies from the 4 messages that you left here.

This will be our only public comment on the matter.

When you signed up to our BASIC plan it was clear that, should you exceed the free limit of 25 requests per day, there were overages to be paid. Our service, like many others, is a ‘freemium’ service, offering limited free access and further access with a charge.

1. On the sign up page at the time that you subscribed, the text ‘then $1/request’ appeared directly below the daily request limit of 25. This was not hidden and was clearly visible.

2. Upon clicking the plan, you would have been prompted to enter your credit card information, along with the following message:

“We will charge your card every month for the plan amount, as well as any overages incurred in the previous month.”

1. Upon reaching 85% of your free quota, you were sent an email by RapidAPI notifying you of this along with the possibility that overages would be charged. The email would also have recommended that you subscribe to a higher plan to avoid incurring these overages. There is evidence that you clicked on this email.

2. We responded to your email requesting a refund, offering you free access to our PRO plan for 2 months. We were not obliged to do this but it was offered as a token of goodwill. You declined this offer and we therefore considered this to be the end of the matter.

3. The issue with the other user who requested a refund was dealt with satisfactorily for both ourselves and the client. We reached out to them directly and all communication occurred via email. As it is a private matter we will not post further details but you are entitled to follow up on the relevant discussion topic to ask them directly, should you desire to do so.

To summarise, there were multiple warnings in place that, should you exceed your free request limit then you would be charged. None of these warning were hidden, all was in plain sight.

TheRundown

Join in the discussion - add comment below:

Login / Signup to post new comments