Health Check

N/A

Back to All Discussions

Ability to request a single vehicle?

Rapid account: Travelnerd
travelnerd
8 years ago

Hi,

I propose a new optional input for the get Vehicles endpoint of vehicle id number. The use case I am thinking is use the get Arrival Estimates endpoint to get the vehicles in the timeframe I am interested in, and then use my proposed get Vehicles input of vehicle id number to get the seating capacity, passenger load, speed, heading, etc.

Thanks for your consideration!

travelnerd Commented 7 years ago

Hey,

I was the OP of this issue I haven’t heard anything about this issue, but it seems like the developer closed the issue without resolving it. Let me know if you have any input!

Regards!

Rapid account: Moonshine JMU
moonshineJMU Commented 7 years ago

Was this ever resolved?

travelnerd Commented 8 years ago

I’m building an app that shows when the next few busses are arriving at a specific stop. It will be text-based without a map, in an effort to reduce data and battery (GPS) usage. I want to use the information about passenger load in order to eliminate full buses from my list (because they won’t stop if they are full). However, the passenger load information is not returned on the Arrivals Estimates endpoint(nor should it be). With my proposal, I could take the vehicle ID from the arrivals estimates to query the Vehicles endpoint.

In short, a way to query by specific vehicle ID will reduce the data transmitted, and reduce lag to the end user.

Bonus suggestion: As you think about future versions of the API, consider adding some POST endpoints. One that quickly comes to mind is for users to post stop requests. This way, a user can navigate using an app on their phone. Once the user boards the bus, the app checks for which vehicle the user is on, and sends a POST request to have that vehicle stop at that user’s destination. Once the vehicle is past the stop right before the user’s destination stop, a device on the bus “pulls the stop cord,” and sends a notification to the user that their stop is next. This way, the experience is the same for the bus driver, but the user doesn’t have to worry about pulling the cord at the right time. You could potentially use this in the backend of your system to improve arrival estimates, by simply knowing which stops a certain vehicle will stop at.

Thanks again for your consideration!

Rapid account: Bubblebees
bubblebees Commented 8 years ago

Hey travelnerd,

Thanks for your suggestion. It’s always good to hear from someone in the community. Can you share a little more about what you’re building? I’m curious where you’ve run into issues with the current arrangement of endpoints and how we might improve them over time.

Best,
Spenser @ TransLoc

Join in the discussion - add comment below:

Login / Signup to post new comments