Health Check

N/A

Back to All Discussions

IMDB ID returned in search results

Rapid account: Ivshti
Ivshti
il y a 8 ans

Hello, is that possible?

I’m hitting on a huge issue with that, since my app uses IMDB ID for referencing movies/series, so when listing stuff, it should have imdb ids for every result in order to play into the already existing other data received with an imdb id

Ivshti Commented il y a 8 ans

ok, went on Ultra, will go to the Mega in a few months when we launch

Rapid account: Unogs
unogs Commented il y a 8 ans

heh… you can purchase the ‘Ultra’ plan 😃
or
donate by paypal to admin@unogs.com

Thank you! Can I donate to the API somewhere?

this is done…

Sure, but from an UX point of view we just need to show notable content in the catalogue, we do that at the moment through gtXXXX on imdb votes, since there’s no other popularity metric

But it works perfectly for now, except for the imdb cross ref

thanks for the help

I will look into adding the imdbid to the list output, assuming it doesn’t break anything I will add it…

Keep in mind that a blank query does not dump the entire catalog, it only lists the first 100 results, which you will then need to page through to get the entire catalog (~130 requests)

The app is affiliated with Stremio (http://www.strem.io), which is an add-on-based media center which already has around 1M users.

Later, there’s going to be a netflix add-on for Stremio as well.

“when the user of your app makes a search, that request is going directly to the unogs API”

Yes

However, it uses the Search request, however the initial load just passes an empty query in order to get a catalogue listing

Which is cached, so on every app open it just re-uses the same data.

However, if we need to get IMDB ID from video details, it would take 80 or so additional HTTP requests on initial load. After which it will be fine because they will be cached.

Initial load is the problem though.

just to be clear… when the user of your app makes a search, that request is going directly to the unogs API? I’m just clarifying because this design is going to be very expensive if your app gets popular…

we haven’t implemented caching

it’s easy to implement

that still doesn’t solve the issue with initial load;

On initial load

• we take images, additional imdb-specific info with a request from our API; we can pass multiple IDs for one request, so we can take many at once
  • we load listing from netflix via unogs
  • in order to link the data and load proper images for all items at once (we have to), we have to make individual requests for every item
  • yes, we can cache them, but the first time the load will be slow

We cannot allow first time load to be slow.

Join in the discussion - add comment below:

Login / Signup to post new comments