100%

Health Check

100%

Back to All Discussions

Paris is not in the database

Rapid account: Antoniojcanovas 94
antoniojcanovas94
5 years ago

When request data for cities with more than 300k inhabitants in France, Paris doens’t appear.

Rapid account: Wirefreethought
wirefreethought Commented 5 years ago

Hi Antonio. The data has been updated. Paris is now classified as type=CITY. By the way, if you want both cities and counties (ADM2), just omit the ‘types’ param.

antoniojcanovas94 Commented 5 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply. I could not find Paris as a city, on the request I was searching only cities and it didn’t show up at all even restricting countries to only France.
I would be very glad for this update 😃

Hi Antonio. I’ve updated the import process to reclassify ADM2 places as cities if at least one duplicate exists which is a city. This fix is being tested and will be deployed in the next one or two days. Check back here for updates.

What’s happening is there are apparently two separate Geoname entries for Paris, the city and the administrative division. In the case of two entries with the same exact name and in the same region, the import process currently selects the one with the greater population. This happens to be the ADM2 version in this case. I can update the import to always prefer the CITY in such cases, and only then consider population. Will post back here once that’s done, Give me a few days (but may be sooner).

antoniojcanovas94 Commented 5 years ago

Hi,
Sorry, I saw later, Paris is displayed, but as ADM2, why it is this type and not a city?

Thanks,
Antonio J.

Also GET /v1/geo/cities/Q90

It shows up as type=ADM2. What does your op look like?

I am able to get back Paris for this op: GET /v1/geo/cities?countryIds=FR&namePrefix=par&minPopulation=300000

Join in the discussion - add comment below:

Login / Signup to post new comments