Health Check

100%

Back to All Discussions

GeoDB Cities - how to get the right language

Rapid account: D Suppo
DSuppo
5 years ago

Hello, I’m requesting cities with JS with this code:

xhr.open(“GET”, “https://wft-geo-db.p.rapidapi.com/v1/geo/locations/%2B” + latitude + “%2B”

• longitude + “/nearbyCities?limit=10&languageCode=it&minPopulation=” + minPopulation + “&radius=” + radius);

As you can see " languageCode=it "
but I get the city names in english.
How to get them in italian?
Thank-you

Daniele

Rapid account: Wirefreethought
wirefreethought Commented 4 years ago

This should now be fixed. Try GET /v1/geo/locations/45.46427%252B9.18951/nearbyCities?minPopulation=10000&radius=100&languageCode=it

Another update: The installation of the internal Wikidata instance is going to take another week or so, as I had to order a bigger SSD to accommodate the database. Thanks for your patience. Stay tuned.

Just an update on this. The kind of Wikidata extraction I’ll need to do to support cases like this cannot be efficiently done through the publicly-available Wikidata instance. To get around this, I am currently working on setting up an internal instance. This may take a couple more weeks before I can procure the hardware, set it up, and update the import code to leverage it. Stay tuned to this thread.

Thanks for your report. The problem is that the Wikidata entry uses a Geonames ID that’s tied to what GeoNames considers a third-order administrative division (ADM3). GeoDB doesn’t currently pull ADM3 data from Geonames. Hence the disconnect. I will have a look over the next few days to see how to address this situation with minimal impact to existing data.

Rapid account: Dlazzarino
dlazzarino Commented 4 years ago

Hi support,
the same problem for me. I have tried this request:

var req = unirest(“GET”, “https://wft-geo-db.p.rapidapi.com/v1/geo/cities”);

req.query({
“countryIds”: “IT”,
“namePrefix”: “MIL”,
“sort”: “-population”,
“languageCode”: “IT”
});

I want my result in Italian language but the service responds with the English one.
This is a big city and I also found the translation on Wikidata, see -> https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q490

What’s wrong?

Thank you,
Diego

wirefreethought Commented 5 years ago

Keep in mind that translations are provided where available. This is based on WIkidata translations for the city in question. Smaller cities are not likely to have a translation in your requested language. If you think a given city is missing a translation that’s actually listed in Wikidata, please verify this first by going to the Wikidata entry using the provided Q identifier and observe if Italian is listed as a translation. If this is the case, definitely bring it to my attention.

wirefreethought Commented 5 years ago

Can you provide the specific latitude/longitude coordinates, minPopulation, and radius you’re using?

Join in the discussion - add comment below:

Login / Signup to post new comments