Health Check

100%

Back to All Discussions

Help with nearest city

Rapid account: Rameshwilson 14
rameshwilson14
3 years ago

Hi,
I’m trying to get the nearest city with a +100,000 population for three different locations.

Any time I try to use either the ‘Cities’ or ‘Cities near location’ options, with the optional parameter of the min population, I am not receiving results, however this did work for me easily a few months ago. Any suggestions?

For instance, I will try the coordinates +42.6470-120.2240 for +100,000 population, and I get nothing back.

Rapid account: Wirefreethought
wirefreethought Commented 3 years ago

Ah yes. The service was recently updated to set limits on the radius range depending on your subscription level. Glad it’s working for you now on the upgraded plan.

rameshwilson14 Commented 3 years ago

Ok it turns out I just had to simply purchase a subscription to have access to responses further away - happy to pay for it as it’s extremely helpful for this! 😃

*This is applicable when using just the ‘Cities’ option, as there is not a minimum radius. When using ‘Cities near location’, i cannot go beyond the 100 radius, however when using ‘Cities’ a few months ago it was all fine.

Hi and thanks for your response!
It’s indeed for Lake Albert. The idea of this is because we’re using distance from a +100,000 city as a general remoteness proxy, and this worked previously a few months ago - we even got nearest +100,000 cities for locations in the Antarctic.

Specifically for Lake Albert (and also any of the other locations I am trying to use) are as follows:
{2 items
"data":[0 items
]
“metadata”:{2 items
"currentOffset":0
"totalCount":0
}
}

It’s just confusing as it seemed to work perfectly as intended a few months ago but I’m just running into some trouble now.

I will also be switching Wikidata syncing back on in the next few days. This will likely affect your query further (in one way or another).

Hi. According to Google Maps, those coordinates are for a location in the middle of Lake Abert. Google Maps appears to show only a smattering of small towns in this area. Lowering the minPopulation or increasing the radius (it defaults to 100) does begin to show results. The reason why the results may be different now than a few months ago probably has to do with population updates that took place since then (meaning updates from Wikidata). What specific results were you getting previously?

Join in the discussion - add comment below:

Login / Signup to post new comments