Health Check

100%

Torna a tutte le discussioni

Trying to download all reviews for given app

Rapid account: D 2 X 6 QLB Dn X
d-2x6QLBDnX-
2 महीने पहले

Hi

I’m wanting to get all the reviews for a given app and am running into errors with various ‘for loop’ attempts. Do you have any documentation or examples for how to go beyond the review limit with a for loop and pagination? (Is the review limit 4000?)

thx

Rapid account: Letscrape 6 B R Ba 3 Qgu O 5
letscrape-6bRBa3QguO5 Commented 2 महीने पहले

Yes, I experimented with this and see what you mean. This is an interesting phenomenon, not sure yet why it happens…

d-2x6QLBDnX- Commented 2 महीने पहले

Adam

Re: the App Detail data, yes, that’s super having both ‘num_reviews’ and ‘num_ratings’. Thank you!

Re: the pagination

It’s working much better, but I’m getting interesting results.

This is based on the code I previously shared below in the thread, although I changed the app to ‘com.teladoc.members’ to not pull so much data.

What’s interesting is that at different ‘limit’ settings, it returned a different number of results.

The ‘num_reviews’ total is 28002. None of the limits reached that, but did pull the numbers below: (the ‘13’ is the number of columns in the shape).

Limit: 4000, (22321, 13)
Limit: 3000, (24347, 13)
Limit: 800, (20538, 13)
Limit: 200, (23035, 13)
Limit 100: (23481, 13)

Any idea why it might not be pulling the total number of reviews, or why each different ‘limit’ setting would produce different results?

Thx
doug

Just added a new num_ratings field to App Details. Does it work for you as expected?

Regarding cursor pagination: there was an issue that should be fixed now. Is it working for your as expected now?

Regarding reviews & rating counts - I’ll look into that and get back to you.

Do you happen to have any documentation or sample code for cursor pagination? I’m still not able to get that working.

I presume they are as I can pull them separately using google-play-scraper

Hi,

Re App Details:
Thanks for the clarification, that makes sense. Do you know if / where these two numbers appear on Google Play somewhere?

Thank you,
Adam @ OpenWeb Ninja

Thanks, Adam.

I ran it again at the levels 3000, 2000 and 1000, but same thing. Error 500, which I presume is a pagination error?

Note that whichever number I set for the limit, (4000, 3000, 2000, or 1000), it will return that amount, but not go over. So it sounds like the error is about the pagination not being passed via the ‘cursor’ value.

Regarding the App Details data points.

Google Play Store has both ratings and reviews. The ratings happen when people give an app a star rating. For each rating, there’s also the option to leave a written review. However, the majority (often 90% or more) of those who give an app a rating, don’t give it a review. So it’s good to be able to pull the total number of reviews to know what the potential total of those is. Make sense?

Hi there,

Thanks for the code, looks clean and tidy! 😃

I experimented with it a bit and it seems like something is broken with cursors produced by calls with limit > 3000. Try to change from 4000 to 3000 or 2000 in the code and run it again…
This is a good finding in general, I’ll adjust the API limit parameter or document this - thanks for bringing it up.

Regarding the latest point about App Details rating / reviews: can you please elaborate on this one? I didn’t fully understand.

Thank you,
Adam @ OpenWeb Ninja

Also, on the App Details endpoint, would it be possible to differentiate the Ratings from the Reviews? I know these are separate parameters, and it would be nice to be able to get the actual numbers available for both. thx

Partecipa alla discussione - aggiungi un commento di seguito:

Accedi/Iscriviti per pubblicare nuovi commenti