8.6 / 10

Latency

760ms

Service Level

100%

Health Check

N/A

Back to All Discussions

Difficulty makes little to no difference?

Rapid account: Chapstck
Chapstck
a year ago

Hey great endpoint really enjoying. Only problem is that the difficulty selector seems to provide no real difference on how hard the sudoku provided is. Even on ‘easy’ they have very similar numbers supplied to you as ‘hard’ and create sudokus that are very difficult to solve.

For example in your example endpoint it returns “…465…2…7…9…76…6…234…15…2.9.4…8…6…17.1…9.3…9…5…” which is 26 numbers supplied. This is on ‘easy’

When I use the same seed (1337) and set the difficulty to hard I get “…46…8.2…73.9…7…6…2.4…15…2.9.4…8…6…17…49.3…9…5…” which is 25 numbers supplied.

I’ve had a go at trying to solve these sudokus both on easy and hard and there is little to no difference. Both are hard.

If you compare this to sudoku.com - on easy you get on average 35+ numbers supplied on easy and then 25~ on hard. So a 10 number difference.

Is this working as intended or requiring a change?

Best,
Chapstck

Rapid account: Chapstck
Chapstck Commented a year ago

Hi Gregor thanks for getting back to me and making the change so quickly! I can see the easy puzzles are lot easier now - my application works a lot better 😃

Let me know if you manage to tweak medium difficulty as I would possibly need to make a change to my app 😃 Thanks again

Rapid account: Gregor I
gregor-i Commented a year ago

Hi Chapstck, thank you for your feedback. It is much appreciated.

I agree with your observation, the easy sudokus are too difficult. I define the difficulty by the techniques a solver needs to solve a given puzzle. And I finally came up with a solver ‘dumb’ enough to produce easy soduku puzzles. It will be released the coming days.

I calculate similar statistics for the generator and the average number of given numbers for easy increased from ~26 to ~38. Which I’m quite happy with.

The numbers for hard and medium are unchanged. I think medium still needs some tweeking.

Join in the discussion - add comment below:

Login / Signup to post new comments