What is the best movie API?
After reviewing over 16 movie APIs, we found these 7 APIs to be the very best and worth mentioning:
Our Top 7 Best Movie APIs for 2020
|Movie Database (IMDb Alternative)||Best for IMDb information||Connect to API|
|Utelly||Best for Movie & TV Series Search||Connect to API|
|IMDb||Best for Advanced IMDb Details||Connect to API|
|Entertaiment Data Hub||Best for Searching Movies, Games, & TV||Connect to API|
|Box Office Buz||Best for Movie and TV Show Search||Connect to API|
|uNoGS||Best for Netflix Movies||Connect to API|
|Streamzui||Best for Amazon Prime Videos||Connect to API|
Our Top Picks for Best Movie APIs
1. Movie Database (IMDb Alternative)
The Movie Database (IMDb Alternative) API is a similar API to the OMDb API, which provides developers basic IMDb data for various movie and TV series.
The API has 2 endpoints:
- Search - Search for Movies by ID or Title
- ID or Title - Get IMDb information by ID
Not only does the API provide IMDb details, but Metascore Rating and Poster images as well.
Related: How to use the IMDb API
Popularity Score: 9.8/10
Utelly is a power content discovery tool that provides Metadata aggregation, search, recommendations and content promotion channels.
Their API allows developers to lookup and search for movies, series, or TV shows available on:
- Amazon Prime
- Now TV
- Google Play
- BBC Iplayer
- All 4
- My 5
- Rakuten TV
- ITV Hub
- and many more.
The Utelly API outputs JSON result data from their database based on the user's input string.
Utelly also provides a NSFW text analysis API to detect unsuitable text fragments for the general public.
Popularity Score: 9.5/10
APIdojo.net provides an unofficial IMDb API to query information from IMDb's movie database using simple data requests.
Some of the API's endpoints include:
- Get Top Stripe
- Get Top Cast
- Get Overview Details
- Get Versions
- Get Taglines
- Get Plots
- Get Technical
- Get Top Crew
- Get Ratings
- Get User Reviews
- Get News
- Get Images
- Get Releases
- and much more.
Related Tutorial: How to use the IMDb API with Python
Popularity Score: 9.3/10
4. Entertaiment Data Hub
The Entertainment Data Hub (created by the folks at Internet Video Archive) provides a RESTful web service to perform search on movies, games, and TV series.
Search using multiple filters including:
- Available Streaming Services
- Year of Release
- and more.
The API returns available metadata and a poster for each result. There is also a Data Match Endpoint to input your own title details and match them to IVA’s professionally curated data set as well as an ID Match Endpoint to get IVA data based on 3rd party IDs such as IMDb, TMDb, etc.
Popularity Score: 7.6/10
5. Box Office Buz
BoxOfficeBuz is an entertainment website providing reviews and information about various movie, TV shows, and gaming titles.
Their API provides access to their movie and television database with over 1 million actors, movies, and shows.
Search their database to get more detailed information about a specific movie or tv show title.
Popularity Score: 7.1/10
Their API allows developers to access their database to help enrich their website, iOS or Android mobile app, and other software with Netflix data.
Related Tutorial: How to use the Netflix API in Python
Popularity Score: 9.8/10
Streamzui is an unofficial Amazon Prime Video search API, which allows developers to search for movie and TV show titles available on Amazon Prime's network by country.
All movies returned will have an IMDb ID.
The IMDb ID for each movie allows you to use free movie APIs which you can get detailed information about the movie, such as https://www.themoviedb.org. However, if there are parameters which would make Streamzui much more useful please let us know and we will consider adding them.
Amazon often updates the IDs (ASINS) of movies, the updated ASINs are returned by the 'Replaced ASINs By Country' endpoint.
Currently only US and UK (GB) region availability. is refreshed daily so checking for updates once every 24 hours will keep you up to date.
Popularity Score: 7.5/10
All APIs in this list (and on RapidAPI.com) can be accessible by:
Learn how to get started here.
Do you agree with our list? Which API do you think is the best movie API out there? Let us know in the comments below.
Summary: Best Movie APIs for Developers
|API||Main Functionality||Popularity Score||Latency||Success Rate|
|Movie Database (IMDB Alternative)||IMDb Details||9.8/10||219ms||100%|
|IMDb||Advanced IMDb Search||9.3/10||1225ms||100%|
|Entertainment Data Hub||Movie, TV, & Gaming Search||7.6/10||528ms||96%|
|Box Office Buz||Movie & TV Database||7.1/10||259ms||89%|
|Streamzui - Amazon Prime Video Search||Amazon Prime Video||7.5/10||474ms||90%|
Complete List of the Best Movie APIs
- Movie Database (IMDB Alternative) - Access movie and TV information similar to that of IMDB. Get Title, Year, Metascore Rating, IMDB rating, Release date, Runtime, Genre, Directors, Writers, Actors, Plot, Awards, Posters & tons of other data for each title.
- Random Famous Quotes - Get a random quote in JSON format.
- uNoGS - uNoGS (unofficial Netflix online Global Search) allows anyone to easily search the global Netflix catalog.
- Utelly - Utelly universal search and recommendation API for Movies, Series and TV shows: Netflix, Amazon Prime, iTunes, Now TV, Google Play, BBC Iplayer, All 4, My 5, Rakuten TV, ITV Hub, etc.. in 1 call.
- IMDb - IMDb API helps to query for all information about films, actors, characters,etc… as on official websites
- TVMaze - Add TV information to your website or app with our easy to use REST API. The TVMaze API uses JSON and conforms to the HATEOAS / HAL principles.
- JSON Porn - The JSON Porn API will serve movies, clips and siterips of adult content. Be it through streams, torrents or direct downloads from well known file hosters.
- The Office - The Office T.V series API
- epguides-api - The epguides REST API allows developers to access and integrate information about TV episodes for many TV shows. Some example API methods include retrieving all of the episodes of a TV show, retrieving the last episode of a TV show, and retrieving the first episode of a TV show. epguides was built and is provided by Fredrik Carlsen.
- Entertainment Data Hub - The API provides a powerful search of movies, games and TV series using multiple filters including availability on streaming services, year of release, ratings and more. Metadata and a poster for each game or movie title is returned as well as deep information about TV series and their seasons and episodes. There is also a Data Match Endpoint to input your own title details and match them to IVA’s professionally curated data set as well as an ID Match Endpoint to get IVA data based on 3rd party IDs such as IMDb, TMDb, etc.
- Streamzui - Amazon Prime Video Search - The unofficial Amazon Prime Video API - Amazon Prime Video being the second most popular video on demand service to Netflix, and more popular than Hulu or HBO Now
- BigFlix Movies Download - This API offers a wide array of films, movie trailers and reviews on and about Indian entertainment. This unofficial API allows you to download and stream movies directly from BigFlix database. Movies are available in different genres like action, comedy, drama, romance etc. and cater to several Indian languages like Hindi, Telugu, Tamil and Bengali.
- Box Office Buz - Box Office Buz is a movie and television database with over 1 Million actors, movies, and shows.
- Movie Max - API that provides information schedules about movies showing in Kenyan cinemas
- Invarivision ISS - automatic video recognition - An easy to use Video Content Recognition API. The search engine watches a movie frame by frame, just as man does it, distinguishing individual images, which allows the mechanism to find even short-duration fragments of familiar video. You must have an registered account at Invarivision to use it (sign up at https://tracker2.invarivision.com/registration.php if you don't have account yet).
- Subsmax Subtitles - You can access SubsMax's subtitles for movies and TV series easily through our API.