Table of Contents
With APIs increasingly becoming essential components for software development, it has become vitally critical for developers and programmers to perform API tests. API testing is a process that focuses on determining whether an API that has been developed meets the anticipated threshold in terms of functionality, performance, reliability, and security. And since these tests are vitally essential, you need to utilize the best API testing tools out there. Owing to the hundreds of testing software in the market, we have taken our time to compile a list of the best API testing tools in the market.
RapidAPI is the world’s largest API marketplace with over 1 million developers and 10,000 APIs. RapidAPI Testing is a RapidAPI product that provides a functional API testing solution for creating and managing comprehensive API tests from development to deployment. Tests can be run for any type of API (including REST, SOAP, and GraphQL).
Check out a quick tutorial here.
RapidAPI Testing offers:
- Comprehensive Testing
- Global Monitoring
- Seamless Integration
- Free to use up to 100,000 API Calls. Unlimited Tests.
- Quickly create comprehensive tests for deep API validation
- Continuously run tests to monitor APIs across all geographies
- Native integrations to RapidAPI Marketplace and RapidAPI Enterprise Hub (and now RapidAPI Design)
- Functional testing, performance testing, automated testing, and API Monitoring all in one product / SKU
- CI/CD Integration to GitHub, Jenkins, CircleCI, Travis, GitLab, and more
- Real-time alerts including SMS, email, and integrations to incident management systems
- None (to be fair, we are biased!)
Pricing: Free up to 100k API calls, unlimited API tests. For Enterprise and plans above 100,000 API calls see pricing plan details here.
Paw is a full-featured one-stop robust Mac-native HTTP client (Beta Now available for Windows & Linux) for testing and describing APIs. The fully-featured and exceptionally designed mac app helps you build HTTP requests, inspect the server’s response and even generate code.
- Offers Teams Product
- Multiple features
- Free trial available, with no credit card required
- Multiple extensions
- Extensive Docs
- It boasts a JSON outline viewer and editor
- Supports OAuth 1 & 2, HTTP Basic Auth and Amazon S3
- You can organize requests, sort by host and name, or make groups
Mac Only(but with Windows and Linux coming soon!)
Pricing: $49.99 for a one-time license, or $10/month for teams (free trial available)
SoapUI is an API testing tool that is ideal for complicated test scenarios as it allows developers to test REST, SOAP, and Web Services without any hassles. It gives the user a full source framework as it is wholly dedicated to API testing.
- It allows users to create complex-scenarios and supports asynchronous testing
- Can create custom codes using Groovy
- Creating a test is easy; just drag and drop
- Though it’s easy to implement, the tool lacks documentation
Pricing: Free version, premium -$659/year
Launched initially as Chrome plugin, Postman has evolved to become a top-tier API testing tool. It is ideal for those who want to test APIs without coding in an integrated development environment using the same language as developers.
- Runs on Windows, Mac, Linux and Chrome Apps
- Boasts run, test, document, and monitoring features
- You don’t need to learn a new language to use this API testing tool
- Although the enterprise version is easy to set up and use, it comes with limited requests
- Pricing for enterprise is high
Pricing: Free, enterprise – $21/user/month
If you are looking for a framework to test REST services in Java, Rest-assured is a perfect choice.it is an open-source platform with Java Domain-specific language that makes testing REST service simpler.
- Users don’t need to be HTTP experts
- It integrates with the Serenity automation framework
- It comes with some baked-in functionalities
- Supports only Java language
Price: Open Source
Combining UI and Business levels for different environments, Katalon Studio provides a common place to create and execute API/Web services, UI functional, and mobile testing.
- Supports SOAP and RESTful requests
- Boasts one of the most robust assertion libraries
- It’s a complete package and framework
- Supports a data-driven approach
- Doesn’t have support for distributed testing
Pricing: Free, premium – $69/license/month
View some Katalon Alternatives here.
Although JMeter was purposely created for load testing, it is a fantastic tool for functional API testing. It comes with a plethora of API testing functionalities and extra features to make the process more efficient.
- Its integration with Jenkins makes it possible to include API tests in the CI pipelines
- It allows developers to replay test results
- Can be utilized in static and dynamic resource performance testing
- It stimulates heavy loads and visualizes test reports that consume a lot of memory
Pricing: Open Source
8. Karate DSL
Another open-source framework for API testing is Karate DSL. It is based on a cucumber library, and it helps create scenarios for API-based BDD tests in a simple way without the need to write
- Boasts powerful assertion capabilities
- It allows configuration switching
- The software permits reusing of payload-data for API testing
- It supports multi-thread parallel execution
- The tool doesn’t have Auth Schemes out of the box
Pricing: Open Source
Apigee is another cutting-edge platform for API testing. The cross-cloud API testing tool permits you to measure and test performance, supports, and create an API with the help of other top-notch
editors such as Swagger.
- With Apigee, you can design, monitor, deploy and scale APIs
- Helps identify performance problems by tracking API error rates, traffic, and response times
- It provides customizable developer portal
- It supports Node.js.
- It no longer supports webhooks and its policies
Pricing: Free trial – $2,500/month
Browse Apigee Alternatives
Assertible is a world-class API testing tool that focuses on automation and reliability.
- Supports for the automation of API tests in every step of continuous integration and delivery pipeline
- Provides an easy way to create robust tests
- It facilitates the quick detection of API problems
- It can be inconvenient, especially when you are viewing a detailed quality report of your web services
Pricing: Free version, premium version – $500/month
11. Tricentis Tosca
If you are looking for a continuous testing platform for Agile and DevOps, Tricentis Tosca has got you covered.
- It supports various protocols, including SOAP, Rabbit MQ, HTTP (s) JMS, REST, IBM, MQ, and TIBCO EMS, among others
- It reduces the time required for regression testing
- Can be used across packaged apps, mobile and cross-browser
- The out-of-the-box functionality can be frustrating at times
Pricing: Starts at $19/month
12. Rest Console
Rest console is an HTTP client, Request visualizer, and a constructor API testing tool that helps users debug, build, and test RESTful APIs.
- It boasts easy query parameter creation
- You can build POST or PUT body through raw input
- You can add custom headers via intuitive UI
- Requires extensive expertise for you to use it